Clinical and Counselling Psychologist
I have been a registered clinical psychologist since 1984, and currently offer parent consultation services for such issues as children’s behavioural, social and emotional problems, anxiety, sleep disorders, learning difficulties, parenting philosophy differences, and general family dynamics. I also offer public education seminars for parents, teachers and other professionals on a wide range of topics.
|Services Provided||Cost||Approx. Wait Time|
|Consultation Services||$200/hour (1st session 2hr; 2nd session 1 hr)||1-2 months|
|Seminars for Professional Development||To be discussed|
|Presentations for Parents (2 hours, evenings)||$600|
Methods of Payment:
Cash, cheque, debit, Visa, and MasterCard are accepted. Payment is due when the service is provided.
How to make an appointment:
Contact me directly at 613-228-1174 ext. 128 or by email at email@example.com.
Appointments are available Tuesdays only, 9am to 4:45 pm.
Educational Background and Credentials
Professional Registration and University Degrees:
- Member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario since 1984
- Ph.D. 1981 from Carleton University
- M.A 1978 from Carleton University
- B.A.(Hons) 1976 from Carleton University
- Member of the Discipline Committee of the College of Psychologists of Ontario 1993-date
- Member and Chair of Oral Examination Teams College of Psychologists of Ontario 1991-date
- President of the College of Psychologists of Ontario 1993-1994
- Member and Chair of the Ontario Board of Examiners in Psychology, 1991-1993
- Member of the Ottawa Academy of Psychology 1984-date
- Occasional Consultant to the Learning Disabilities Association of Canada
- Board Member, Learning Disabilities Association of Ottawa-Carleton – current
I work collaboratively with parents in a “management consultant” role to understand what they are trying to achieve with their children and their family, and what might be getting in the way. I see parents as the “management team” in the family, and believe that they are the most powerful influences in a child’s life. Experience shows that, when parents can work together and bring their different sets of experiences, beliefs and skills to the table, children settle down and family dynamics are improved.
I have been part of the Centrepointe Professional Services team since 1994. Prior to this, I was in a smaller private practice in Bells Corners, after having been one of two staff psychologists at the former Carleton Board of Education. I completed both a pre-doctoral internship and my supervised practice at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO). I worked as a sessional lecturer at Carleton University from 1981 to 1996, teaching courses in Developmental Psychology and Exceptional Children. In 2004, I was awarded the Dr. Bea Wickett award for an Outstanding Contribution to Mental Health in Education through the Ontario Psychological Association.
- The Pampered Child Syndrome: How to Recognize It, How to Manage It and How to Avoid It (Creative Bound, 2004; Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2006); available at 613-228-1174 (cost: $20 plus shipping/handling); also available as e-book
- Understanding Nonverbal Learning Disabilities: A Common-Sense Guide for Parents and Professionals (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2007); available at 613-228-1174 (cost: $20 plus shipping/handling); also available as e-book.
- Who’s In Charge? A Guide to Family Management (Creative Bound, 1997) – available as e-book only
- Laughter, Love and Limits: Parenting for Life (Creative Bound, 1998) – available as e-book only
- ParentPower! Lost and Found: Ten Small Steps to Reclaiming Our Families
August, 2011. Obtainable only from firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling (613) 228-1174. Cost: $30 including HST, plus $5 shipping and handling